Occupational Driving License FAQ

1. Where will I be allowed to drive?

Generally courts limit the geographical limits of the Petition of an Occupational Drivers License (ODL) to the county where it is issued and the surrounding counties. If this is not sufficient for your needs, the court will require documentation of why you need to travel in other areas, such as the route to your parent’s house, a regional office or other situations requiring travel in a larger area. The license is not considered valid in other states because the court does not have jurisdiction to allow your travel outside of Texas.

2. Is the court order the occupational license?

No, the court order is only the first step to the occupational license. After the court grants the request, the court order and all other required items must be submitted to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). After these items are received by the DPS, the occupational license is issued. However, the court order will function as an occupational license for no more than 31 days from the judge signing the order. This allows a person an opportunity to drive for up to 30 days from the dates of the judge’s signature to allow the request to be processed by the DPS.

3. I have a commercial driver’s license; will an occupational driver's license allow me to drive a commercial vehicle?

No. If your license is suspended, cancelled, or revoked under any Texas law you MAY NOT be granted an occupational drivers license to operate a commercial motor vehicle. Please see the following:

Texas Transportation Code 522.086

Texas Transportation Code 522.089

4. Can a court require Alcohol Counseling or an Interlock?

An issuing judge may require you to attend alcohol counseling as a condition of your occupational license — but, unfortunately, it is not the same counseling ordered by the judge in your DWI case. Our experience has been that issuing judges who require this condition are mandating a certain number of hours attendance with Alcoholics Anonymous. Maintaining an occupational license may mean that you will have to equip your car with an ignition interlock device to prevent violation of your limitations. Your attorney may request that this condition not be imposed in your case, so we normally request that this condition be waived for our clients.

5. Contact Us Now

You can contact The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder at anytime for assistance at 214.702.CARL(2275) or at 469.2000.DWI(394). You can also e-mail Carl directly, at Carl@CederLaw.com; or to the office for general inquiries at Info@DFWDefenders.com. Phones should be answered 24 hours a day/7 days a week for immediate and personal assistance. E-mail messages will be responded to with 24-48 hours, depending on whether Carl is in trial.